Saturday, October 3, 2009

Bella's in her new crib....





Well, where does one begin? A couple of weeks ago I was approached about a filly that had been abandoned by its owner. It was being boarded at a nearby ranch in Piedmont and according to the ranchowner, stall fees paid in full and haul her away. So, I spoke with Rick(God love my husband for putting up with me and my animal antics), and I spoke with Bill, the gentleman that owns the land where Lacy is, and told them her story. In Bills great kindness he said that he would provide the pasture if I wanted her. Little did I know what I was embarking on. She wasn't halterbroke, which meant that she has had little, if any, human hand contact. For a week I went out every day, basically just to "show-up" so she could see me over and over again, then my sister arrived and we began the "prepping" for travel day. Jen and I had a fantastic time working with this little filly, her yearling friend who my sister quickly named "Patches", and the old Surrogate Mare we all called "Mama". I thank God for my sissy coming, as she enjoys equines as much as I do, and she was happy as a clam to be running around a huge pasture after a horse we would never catch.

Considering my sister had named a horse that wasn't even hers I figured I'd better name this little filly. We ran through some names like, Java, Mocha, Karma, Ziggy, but when you looked at her she just kept comming up Bella.

Sunday, the wind was fierce, and it was the day we were suppose to load her up and take her the Ziegenbein Ranch, so it was quickly decided it wasn't going to happen that day. Jennifer, in her always optimistic attitude, said she still wanted to go out and "play" with the ponies. So we went. While we were there Brandon, the ranch owner, came out to talk with us and we decided that we might not load her up, but we should try to get her in a round pen so we could load more easily on Monday. Well, it took 2 buckets of grain, a lariat, a haltered yearling, a sprained thumb (Jennifers, not mine) and 3 hours to wrangle that lil filly into a roundpen. Jen did all the dangerous work, hence the sprained thumb, while Brandon and I gently pushed her toward Jen and the haltered yearly that we were using as bait. Finally, she bit and walked right into the pen with Jen, as we quickly closed in and closed the gate. We were all happy that the day held some degree of success considering our initial defeat with 50 mile per hour wind gusts.

Monday, Hannah (my friend and fellow horse boarder at Bills) met me out at Brandons with her horse trailer. We moved around the round pen a bit, set it up for loading into her trailer, and Hannah went right in and got it done! 5 minutes with the Scary Hannah was all it took until Bella jumped into the trailer. We arrived at the Ziegenbein Ranch with Bill waiting and Hannah gave Bella her booster shots, deworming paste, and out of the trailer she went to her new crib.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were all about touching her. She is allowing me to come up to her on her right side, rub her neck, back, chin, legs, etc. and Friday night she let me brush her. Today we worked on her left side. She acted like she didn't even know who I was. It's a funny thing about horses. They have 2 brains... not literally.. but you'd think so. They have a left brain and a right brain, which most trainers like to refer to as "lefty" and "righty" because you have teach them everything from the left side and from the right side, their learning are completely apart from the other. So, after all my picture taking today, my great success with her was that she actually let me scratch her neck on the left side. It's baby steps BIG time. I keep reminding myself that Rome wasn't built in a day, and there is the fact that she is basically a petting pony, ground worker, etc. for at least the next 17 months. So, we have plenty of time.

I once heard a quote that I totally understood, as I have such an intense love for these four-legged, magical creatures. They could literally kill you, but when you have a relationship with them, they submit to you, and you begin to understand what real strength is.

"There's something about the outside of a horse, that's good for the inside of a man."
Winston Churchill



2 comments:

Cowgirl said...

FABULOUS & WONDER-FULL story. You are amazing and are evolving into such a super-uber-horsewoman. What has your God got in store for you? This is a path that you have embraced and embarked on with such obvious love and joy. This is YOU.

What good fortune to have such true, solid friends and family there with you, by your side, watching your back, and helping you do your best.

Can you feel our love? Hope so.

xoxo me, him & the 'new' girl

PS. That pony is bellisima !

Joey Boshart said...

Girlie...ye had better be down at the ol "Nelson Ranch" finding one's seat so we can ride together soon. Trust me..with horses... love is found on the ground... respect and awe... is in the saddle. Find the first first... My God has blessed me to find love on the ground, respect in the saddle, and love on the ground....today, my horse Lacy, actually, seriouslly, hugged me. And Bill...the boarder.. said .."Joel, keep doing what you're doing..and...One day soon, Bella will be as gentle as Lacy, I'm sure." I can't explain my joy.. because no one was there...

Life is good when you're moving in the right direction.